Human Resources Generalist
- University of Guelph
- Ridgetown, Ontario
- Job Category
- Human Resources
- Job Type
Human Resources Generalist
Ridgetown Campus, Ontario Agricultural College
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced HR management best practices champion to support the mission of the Campus to be a leader in applied research, teaching and training focused on agriculture, horticulture, veterinary technology and the environment.
Located in Ridgetown, Ontario, midway between London and Windsor, the University of Guelph Ridgetown Campus is home to 650 full-time students and approximately 120 full-time employees, including faculty, research associates, instructors, clerical and technical staff, plus numerous contractual staff and student employees.
As Human Resources Generalist, you will be responsible for the effective, consistent administration and interpretation of University policies and procedures, practices, guidelines and collective agreements for Campus staff. This will see you supporting the Director, faculty and staff by providing thoughtful leadership, advice and coaching regarding these areas as well as applicable provincial and federal government legislation. You will also act as a primary contact and, as such, provide information regarding performance management, strategic planning and support to administration, compensation, and benefits administration. In addition, as HR Generalist, you will:
- Provide training to staff and managers on staff relations, as needed, handle conflict resolution and provide advice to supervising managers.
- Assist with recommending viable solutions to resolve various HR issues or concerns on Campus by triaging situations, managing grievances, researching policy and collective agreements, and acting as a liaison with central HR.
- Be the first point of contact for employees at Ridgetown Campus, providing information in response to questions on employee relations issues such as annual performance appraisals, job evaluations and classification, conflict resolution, attendance management, payroll policies, accommodations and return-to-work protocols.
To assume the role of Human Resources Generalist, you must have:
- An undergraduate degree in Human Resources Management or Business, plus a recognized designation as a Human Resource Professional (e.g. CHRP, CHRL), or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- No fewer than 5 to 7 years of experience in providing progressive human resources support in a leadership capacity, including recruitment, performance management, and interpretation and application of policies, collective agreements and relevant employment legislation (e.g. Employment Standards Act).
- Demonstrated experience providing information to managers and staff.
- A proven ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and sound judgement, and maintain effective working relationships in a respectful workplace.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to problem-solve and mediate, adapt to changing priorities, work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of various software programs, including spreadsheets, word processing and database management.
- Training and presentation skills.
- An understanding of the university environment and culture.
- An appreciation of the Ontario agri-food sector and how research, education and training are conducted.
POSITION LOCATION: Ridgetown, Ontario
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting for the Human Resources Generalist role, including application instructions, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2018-0273, must be sent to email@example.com. Closing date: Monday, June 18, 2018
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.
More search results
Business Officer and Assistant to the Chief Admin…
University of Toronto
Director, Program Standards & Assessments
Industry Training Authority
Director, Operational Excellence
Director, Operations & Organizational Effectivene…
Director, HR Services
University of Toronto Mississauga