Director, Office for Research Initiatives and Services
Director, Carleton Office for Research Initiatives and Services
Reporting to, and working closely with the Vice-President, Research and International, The Director, CORIS, has oversight for identifying, managing and expanding opportunities that increase the scope and impact of the University’s research enterprise. This is a critical role that manages the internal grant competition program and oversees the development and implementation of external research funding programs.
The Director leads, trains and empowers a team of research facilitators and support staff, enables the success of research faculty members and educates the broader Carleton community, as it relates to all aspects of grant applications from agency application requirements to post-award compliance. Support is provided to business partners through information sessions, workshops, coaching and mentoring to maximize the research potential of faculty and the university at large.
Close relationships with internal stakeholders are fundamental to ensure that support for grant applications are well planned, coordinated and budgeted across all business units. In addition the incumbent will maintain and nurture new partnerships with a broad range of external funding agencies and partners at provincial, national and international levels, and represent Carleton within industry and professional groups. An aspect of this is the preparation and submission of required annual reports to agencies, and reporting on emerging trends that may impact research funding.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
Along with the required credentials you are a proven leader, facilitator and collaborator. You enjoy interacting with internal and external business partners, managing staff and leveraging team intelligence to complete research, conduct analysis and develop programs that drive the achievement of business outcomes.
You share the entrepreneurial spirit of the ownership and embrace the department’s success as your own. Passionate and confident, you easily lead, educate and inspire staff and business partners, advise on strategic matters and keep pace with the evolving external funding landscape.
You prefer to work in a collaborative team environment and enjoy a role with multiple projects, cross-functional accountabilities, and are naturally focused on providing internal stakeholders and external clients with high quality service.
THE ROLE REQUIREMENTS
- The completion of a Ph.D. in a research-intensive discipline. Consideration will be given to those with a Masters, if they demonstrate a solid background and related experience
- Ten years of experience in a research management environment
- Experience should include developing and evaluating grant and contract proposals, liaising with granting agencies and boards, and managing large grant portfolios
- Expertise with the development and expansion of funding opportunities
- Knowledgeable with university granting policies and procedures related to research activities; strong understanding of the academic and research culture
- Familiarity with the research funding in Canada (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR, CFI, ORF, etc.)
- Demonstrated leadership ability to engage, motivate and build success and ownership
- Superior interpersonal and collaborative ability to interact and communicate effectively with employees, business partner, senior management, and external stakeholders.
- Proactive and innovative approach to providing high levels of internal and external client service delivery
- Seasoned facilitator who demonstrates sensitivity, tact and diplomacy
- Outstanding ability to prioritize, organize and multi-task to manage core accountabilities
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with acute attention to detail
- Strong track record in formulating and writing successful grant proposals
THE APPLICATION PROCESS
- Candidates should visit the Carleton University Human Resources website to apply for this position: https://carleton.ca/hr/employment-opportunities/staff-opportunities/
ABOUT CARLETON UNIVERSITY
Located in Ottawa Canada, Carleton University is a dynamic and innovative research and teaching institution. It is a community of talented, committed and enthusiastic faculty and staff, dedicated to excellence and to supporting the education and research that distinguishes Carleton as Canada’s Capital University. We know that it is our people that are key to Carleton’s success.
We take pride in our institution and are committed to providing the programs and services that contribute to Carleton University being an employer of choice. http://carleton.ca/about/
For more information about working at Carleton, please visit: https://carleton.ca/hr/perks-of-working-at-carleton/
More search results
Fields Institute for Research in Mathematics
Chief Information Officer (CIO)/ Chef des service…
Executive Director, Financial Services
University of Victoria
Manager, Projects and Processes
Executive Director, Resources and Strategic Plann…