- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Oshawa, ON
- Job Category
- Finance, Budget and Audit
- Job Type
Tracking Code: 1504-136
Number of Positions: 1
Position Title: Payroll Manager
Appointment Type: Full-Time Continuing
Salary Range: $90,432 - $106,391
Posting Date: February 26, 2019
Closing Date: March 26, 2019
The Payroll Manager, under the direction of the CFO, is responsible for overseeing the production all aspects of the University’s payrolls by setting department direction, establishing objectives and ensuring compliance with legislation and University policies. Key accountabilities include: managing payroll specialists, recommend appropriate staffing levels, serve as payroll subject matter expert to group members and HR community. Lead and work on complex projects. Proactively improve business processes and quality standards. Develop skills and competencies of direct reports.
- Manages a team of payroll specialists, provides training and coaching to team members and assists in monitoring workloads
- Reviews and authorizes the processing bi-weekly, monthly, and any other Payroll-related payments ensuring both payrolls are processed accurately and on schedule.
- Manages the process for manual paycheques for one-time pre-approved requests and payroll errors and omissions in accordance with CRA regulations, pension regulations and University employee benefit entitlements.
- Interprets and understands provincial and federal payroll tax laws to comply with regulatory reporting agencies such as CRA, WSIB, Ministry of Finance and Family Support Office.
- Keeps abreast of Employment Standards law changes, tax directives and other information relating to Payroll by conducting continuous research, obtaining updates and gathering information through appropriate channels.
- Reviews all government and other employee deductions deducted and process remittances accordingly.
- Reviews and approve all accounting entries (including Journal vouchers) and reconciliation of payroll accounts to the general ledger.
- Oversees the preparation and reconciliation of payroll year-end documentations ensuring taxable benefits/T4/T4A/T5 are reported and issued in accordance with CRA in a timely manner.
- Prepare and review department budget.
- Manages and maintains payroll reports and related documents according to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) and University records and retention policies.
- Responds to and resolves escalations, payroll issues and enquiries from all levels of the University community and various outside agencies including CRA, WSIB and Service Canada.
- Maintains accurate reconciliation process for pension contributions and CRA pension adjustments; participates in pension audit as required
- Prepare all payroll related materials for annual and periodic financial audits.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and problem solving skills, respect for confidentiality and strong attention to detail.
- Articulate oral communication and sound written communication skills.
- Proven leadership and team development skills
- A team player who works well under pressure with strict deadlines.
- The ideal candidate will hold a university degree/college diploma in business or accounting, a CPM diploma and have a minimum of 7-10 years working experience in the role as a Payroll Manager.
- Experience with in-house payroll is required.
- Experience in a unionized, university or college environment is an asset.
- Sound accounting background and understanding of how Payroll integrates into the finance function and the ability to prepare accounting reports
How to Apply:
Interested candidates should submit in electronic format a covering letter and their resume through the UOIT website. Applications will be accepted until March 26, 2019 or until a suitable candidate is found. We appreciate all applications received; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
UOIT is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, while especially encouraging applications from women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous peoples and persons with disabilities. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
UOIT respects people's different needs and therefore will take all reasonable steps to ensure accommodation for applicants where appropriate. If you require an accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please notify the Human Resources Department.
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Staff Level 11