Senior Purchasing Officer
Job ID: 1815
Full/Part Time: Full Time
Location: Peterborough, Ontario
Hours per Week: 37.5
Date Posted: 2019-05-31
Date Closed: Open Until Filled
Salary Range: $36.42 to $42.22 Hourly
What Are We About?
Fleming is located in the heart of the Kawartha Lakes Region in Central Ontario…a beautiful place to live and work, surrounded by natural beauty and a mere 90 minutes north-east of Toronto. The College’s 6,000 full-time and 10,000 part-time students, including hundreds of international students from countries around the world, attend at campus locations in Peterborough, Lindsay, Haliburton and Cobourg. Fleming offers more than 100 full-time programs in Environmental and Natural Resource Sciences, Fine Arts, General Arts and Science, Technology, Skilled Trades, Community Development, Health, Business, and Justice as well as other Continuing Education courses.
We are also extremely proud of our more than 71,000 Fleming alumni who are contributing to their communities in the region, across the province and around the world.
What This Position is About:
The Senior Purchasing Officer is an agent authorized by the College to commit College funds to outside suppliers under the general direction of the Director, Purchasing. The Senior Purchasing Officer procures goods and services on assigned projects by: assisting internal clients, researching the suppliers and products, planning and overseeing Requests For Quotations, Requests For Proposals, Requests For Pre-qualifications, Requests For Tenders; analyzing and evaluating submissions, making recommendations, preparing and reviewing contracts, authorizing purchase orders, performing supplier and contract management. The objective is to obtain required goods and services in a responsive, efficient and cost-effective manner by maximizing the purchasing value of public funds in support of our excellent learning environment.
The Senior Purchasing Officer manages procurement projects within their area of responsibility and ensures compliance with MTCU and BPS Directives, Trade Treaties, Regulations, Procedures, Board Policies, Purchasing Management Best Practices and Professional Ethics throughout the entire process. The incumbent provides advice and guidance to other Purchasing staff & internal customers as required. Identifies business process improvement opportunities, recommends appropriate sourcing strategies, collaborates cooperatively and effectively with internal and external contacts, and leads implementation of supply management initiatives. Assists in making the College a preferred customer to do business with. Mediates contract and performance issues between the College and the supplier.
The Procurement Department must balance the college requirements of contracting and acquisition for the best operational outcome in relation to legal and ethical responsibility in the highly scrutinized Broader Public Sector environment.
For More Information
For a complete job description, please refer to the posting found on our website.
What We Are Looking For:
Please clearly indicate in your cover letter and/or resume how your qualifications meet our job posting.
- 3-year degree in Business, Economics, Supply Chain Management or Engineering or 3-year diploma in Operations or Supply Chain Management.
- Current CSCMP Professional Designation with the Supply Chain Management Association of Canada or CPPO professional designation with the NIGP, or advanced level standing in either program.
- Current membership in SCMA, OPBA
- A minimum of three years direct, current and progressive experience in Supply Chain Management with responsibility for supplier sourcing, negotiations, contract management, supplier management and project management.
- Of this, at least 2 years experience should be at the Senior Buyer, Senior Analyst, Project Lead, or Commodity Manager level in a medium to large size organization utilizing an automated purchasing system (Public or Private sector).
- Experienced in Public Sector Purchasing requirements, laws and policies is required.
- Track record as a proven influencer, collaborator, problem-solver, multi-tasker, negotiator, consultant, mediator, and life-long learner is required. Lean and Best Value background an asset.
- Current experience in project management and exposure to implementing and utilizing e-business solutions for sourcing and procurement. Experience using Bonfire, MERX and Biddingo.
- Experienced in commodities and services such as IT software and hardware, facilities services, educational equipment, medical equipment, lab supplies, food services, campus services, skilled trades and technology equipment, consultants, and corporate services providers. Vendor of Record implementation experience an asset.
- At least 2 years experience in the effective utilization of the Purchasing modules of an ERP system, preferably PeopleSoft, but would consider experience in other packages eg. SAP, JDE etc.
- A successful track record of leading and participating in collaborative opportunities, especially within the higher education sector utilizing OECM, MGCS, and regional collaborative procurement groups.
- Demonstrated experience with projects falling within the scope of CFTA and CETA.
- Excellence using technology and tools including: MS Office software, contract management databases (eg. Bonfire), procurement templates, presentations, ERP Purchasing systems and reporting tools, e-sourcing implementations.
- Experience working independently and jointly in a results oriented , deadline driven team environment, organizing and prioritizing and problem solving own work to move projects and processes ahead to meet multiple deadlines.
- Experience evaluating price, quality and service factors to determine suitability of supply and be able to make trade-off decisions in assessing risk.
Internal candidates will receive first consideration in accordance with our Support Staff Collective Agreement. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in joining the Fleming College family.
How to Apply
To apply to Fleming College career opportunities please visit http://www.FlemingCollege.ca/Careers.
Fleming College is committed to building a diverse, inclusive, and accessible learning and working environment. We encourage and welcome applications from those who would contribute to the further diversification of our community including, but not limited to, women, racialized persons, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.
We believe in and promote the rights of all persons with disabilities as enshrined in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, the Ontario Human Rights Code, and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA 2005) and its related Accessibility Standards Regulations. To meet this commitment, Fleming College will make appropriate accommodations available throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform our Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require to ensure your equal participation. To obtain a copy of this document in another format please e-mail Recruitment@flemingcollege.ca.
More search results
Department Manager Faculty/
University of Toronto -Toronto
Assistant Vice-President Human Resources
Senior Vice President, Corporate Services and Chi…
St. Lawrence College
Dean, Faculty of Business and Economics
University of Northern British Columbia
Executive Director, Food and Beverage
University of Toronto