Director, Human Resources
Huron invites applications for the position of Director, Human Resources
Huron is completely unique to post-secondary institutions in Canada. With the aim to redefine Liberal Arts education, Huron is creating a university experience unlike any other, one that prioritizes ethical leadership and community engagement, as much as the pursuit of academic achievement.
As the founding institution of Western University, since 1863, Huron has remained strategically small to best serve the needs of its students. Huron’s mission is to develop Leaders with Heart from all backgrounds and foster a vibrant and inclusive community and prepare students to be engaged citizens who transform the sectors they work within.
In support of Huron’s mission, vision and values, the Director, Human Resources is responsible to lead, plan, manage and develop efficient, staff focused and responsive services to meet the needs of the Human Resources function for the Huron community. The Director, Human Resources works closely with the Senior Leadership team and acts as a consultant and strategic partner, implementing an institutional human resources management framework for the entire campus. The Director, Human Resources is responsible for strategic and daily operation of all Human Resources activities at Huron, these include but are not limited to HR Strategy and Relationship Management, Recruitment and Retention, Payroll, Benefits and Compensation, Labour Relations/Employee Relations, Legal Compliance and Risk Management, as well as Health & Safety.
Specifically, the incumbent is responsible for supporting proactive human resource strategies through the development, coordination and implementation of projects, systems and processes which support institutional goals and objectives. As a senior member of the management team, the incumbent will have exposure to a wide variety of projects and initiatives, and due to the diversity and size of the institution, will be exposed to Human Resources and other challenges not found in other institutions.
Huron is an increasingly diverse community and requires a Director, Human Resources who values diversity and inclusion, and has demonstrated experience in developing and advancing institutional equity goals.
The Director, Human Resources is a respected leader guided by clear values, ethics, professionalism and is adept at building strong relationships and is valued as a trusted advisor. This position regularly acts as a designate of the Vice President, Finance and Administration as it relates to the Human Resources portfolio at Huron. The incumbent will provide direct leadership to a Manager, Human Resources as well as a Coordinator, Payroll and HRIS.
- Undergraduate degree with a professional HR designation (CHRL). Equivalent combination of post-secondary education and experience may also be considered.
- Minimum of seven (7) years’ experience in progressively responsible leadership appointments.
- A strong understanding, and appreciation of the mission of a liberal arts university such as Huron.
- Expert level knowledge of appropriate HR legislation and HR best practice.
- Knowledge and understanding of advanced HR and management theories, techniques and principles.
- A strong advocate for diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- Experience in a multi-union environment including interpretation of collective agreements, managing grievance and arbitration procedures and involvement with collective bargaining.
- Specialized knowledge and a high level of judgement and decision making is required in staffing and recruitment, job evaluation, pay and benefit administration and labour relations, dispute resolution and, legal and risk mitigations strategies, and negotiation techniques.
- Advanced knowledge and understanding along with the ability to interpret legislation, employee agreements and other regulations is required.
- Superior negotiation and dispute resolution skills.
- Strick adherence to confidentiality and professionalism when dealing with difficult and sensitive situations.
- Excellent time management skills and a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills.
- Well-honed and developed interpersonal skills to represent Huron professionally and the ability to inspire confidence and trust with Senior Administration, peer Leaders, Staff, Faculty and all stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively and use good judgement in decision making in significant and complex situations.
- Innovative thinker and problem solver; the ability to see how all the pieces fit together and contribute to the achievement of broader institutional objectives.
- An open, inviting and approachable personality that allows the opportunity to build meaningful, trusting relationships.
- Ability to work with diverse communities with respect, sensitivity, creativity, innovation, and cultural understanding.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application by December 4th, 2020 at 11:55pm. Your cover letter and a current resume may be submitted in one document (Word or PDF) in confidence to Huron via email to VPFA@huron.uwo.ca.
Huron values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given hiring priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron by phone at 519-438-7224 or at the email address above.
More search results
Director, Bookstore, Spirit Shop and Document Sol…
Simon Fraser University
Executive Director, Budget, Planning & Finance
University of Toronto Mississauga
Associate Director Project Management (Directeur(…
Associate Vice-President (Marine Institute) Resea…
The Fisheries and Marine Institute of Memorial University of Newfoundland (Marine Institute)
Director of Finance - Controller
Mount Allison University