Director, Bookstore, Spirit Shop and Document Solutions
Administrative and Professional Staff (APSA)
$88,926 To $106,191 Annually
SFU Department Description:
# of openings:
The Director, Bookstore/Spirit Shop and Document Solutions provides strategic planning and leadership on policy, operational and financial management for a portfolio of three business units: SFU Bookstores, SFU Spirit Shop, and SFU Document Solutions. The role leads business innovation, sustainability and development opportunities for each unit and administers the provision of learning resources, banking services, and retail services including procurement, print production and workflow optimization. The Director enhances revenue generation and reduces operating costs to ensure financial support for strategic initiatives. Overseeing the development and integration of multiple channels of client engagement, the Director establishes operational benchmarks and control measures; evaluates progress; and makes improvements. The Director develops and updates unit policies and procedures, ensuring compliance with legal requirements, provincial/federal taxation regulations, university policies, and audit accountability. The position researches financial feasibility of new entrepreneurial ventures/services and formulates implementation plans, ensuring new commercial activities are revenue-generating and aligned with the university's strategic objectives. The Director leads, analyzes and recommends market expansion to new segments such as University residents, other colleges, etc.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration and eight years of related experience managing business operations in a multi-unit retail environment or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
- Good knowledge of provincial/federal taxation regulations.
- Good knowledge of Lean Six Sigma methodologies.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication (verbal, written and presentation) skills.
- Excellent leadership, human resource management and financial management skills.
- Excellent analytical reasoning, problem solving, conflict resolution, and negotiation skills.
- Excellent knowledge of business development, marketing and publication of marketing efforts.
- Excellent entrepreneurial and organizational skills with ability to maintain records for audit and planning purposes.
- Good knowledge of community and global leadership through business operations and service delivery.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with various stakeholders.
- Ability to develop, explain and apply and provide guidance on a broad range of unit policies and procedures.
- Ability to exercise mature judgement, initiative, diplomacy and tact.
- Proficient use of databases, enterprise level information systems, point-of-sale operating systems and ecommerce platforms (e.g., PeopleSoft, Sequoia, WooCommerce).
Please include your cover letter and resume in one attachment.