Director, Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Entrepreneurship Services (RISES)
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: Director, Research, Innovation, Scholarship, and Entrepreneurship Services (RISES)
This position reports to the Associate Vice President, Research, Innovation, and Graduate Studies. Reporting directly to this position are the Manager, Research and Innovation Partnerships (planned), Research Facilitator, Research Contracts Manager, and Research Compliance Manager, in addition to several soft-funded employees.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Earned doctorate or equivalent graduate education (e.g. two masters’ degrees) that includes research is required. A Master’s degree in Business Administration (MBA or equivalent) is desirable.
- Extensive research management experience, preferably in Canadian post-secondary system.
- Proven leadership of key institutional research partnership program with multiple partners, including success in major competitive funding (e.g. multi-year, multi-million dollars). Experience developing, planning and administering research programs and projects is essential.
- Has at least 10 years of progressive experience across their portfolio in a combination of academic, business, community, and government environments.
- Experience with profit and loss (P & L) management for self-sustaining entities desirable.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial statutes, regulations, municipal by-laws, common law, ministerial mandate letters, and ministry policy priorities) which guide development of strategic plans, policies, guidelines, and procedures related to post-secondary education and research such as intellectual property, privacy, information security, international partnerships, employment laws, human rights, and Indigenous laws
- Knowledge from standards bodies which guide scientific and technical activities
- Knowledge of University plans, policies, guidelines, procedures, processes, obligations, commitments, and practices which guide most activities
- Knowledge of the post-secondary system as it relates to research.
- Knowledge of federal and provincial funding agencies policies and program guidelines
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction.
- Demonstrated team leadership and the ability to engage and motivate employees.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills to work collaboratively as an effective team player with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated ability in the effective management of people, projects and budgets.
- Demonstrated ability in effective team management and implementing change resulting in improvement to service, staff productivity and systems efficiency.
- Ability to provide guidance, direction, training and education to others.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to present information in a clear and concise manner.
- Ability to interact effectively with a variety of individuals with diverse backgrounds and needs.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with sensitive situations that call for the use of diplomacy, tact and professionalism in the delivery of information and explanations.
- Demonstrated judgment, discretion and the ability to maintain a high degree of confidentiality. Ability to liaise effectively and diplomatically with a wide variety of internal and external key parties and to advocate on behalf of the University.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, demonstrated attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to take initiative and work independently.
- Proven ability to juggle and prioritize tasks, work to deadlines and demands, make responsible decisions and determine when to seek advice.
- Ability to respond well to working under pressure and resolve complex issues in an effective manner.
- Demonstrated innovation and change management skills which include supporting and encouraging new ideas and approaches to build organizational efficiency.
- Demonstrated knowledge of business process management and departmental planning and principles.
- High customer service oriented, with the ability to create a positive and meaningful customer experience.
- Ability to think innovatively and creatively in planning and developing a fresh approach to existing activities, with a process improvement perspective.
- Knowledge and skills managing internal and external communications and event planning and coordination, particularly within an institutional or corporate environment.
- Intercampus, provincial, national, and infrequent international travel is required.
click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.
More search results
Assistant Professor (Acute and/or Chronic Care) -…
President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) / Fondation canadienne pour l’innovation (la FCI)
Associate Vice President, Academic
British Columbia Institute of Technology (BCIT)
Associate Director Finance Operations (Controller)