- Queens University
- Kingston, ON
- Job Category
- General Administration, Supervision and Management, Risk Management
- Job Type
Queen's University- The Department of Environmental Health & Safety is seeking an Off-Campus Safety Policy (OCASP) Specialist to assist with the develop and implement of policies and procedures to ensure the health, safety and security of students, faculty, and staff engaged in off-campus academic or research activities for the University. In this exciting and challenging role, the OCASP Specialist will be responsible for liaising with the University community, government agencies, and other universities to ensure that the travel and off campus policies and procedures align with best practices, while contributing to the Queen's academic mission by supporting the internationalization of study and research.
COVID-19 has shined a new light on the risks associated with travel at Queen's, and this role will provide you with the opportunity to have a real impact by helping to shape and influence policies and procedures related to off-campus safety. This position assist with the development of programs and training materials to support the OCASP. The ideal candidate will have knowledge and appreciation of the risks associated with travel and performing work internationally and within Canada and should have experience conducting study and travel abroad risk assessments, developing and monitoring emergency preparedness plans, and incident reporting procedures for remote, domestic, as well as international locations. This role is perfect for someone who has health and safety on top of their mind and enjoys working in a fast-paced environment with a lot of autonomy.
This position develops programs and training materials aligned with the Off-campus Activity Safety Policy (OCASP) and health and safety policies and procedures. This position monitors compliance with the health and safety policies and procedures to ensure alignment with best practice. This position monitors and initiates the emergency support program to act on worldwide health and safety issues.
What you will do
- Develops training programs for those with accountabilities under the OCASP and other health and safety policies and procedures that are informed by best practices.
- Coordinate the ongoing education of members of the University community about planning, risk assessment, and the implementation of various health and safety policies and practices related to activities.
- Provides guidance to faculty, staff, and students engaging in or planning on and off-campus activities.
- Monitors compliance with the health and safety requirements.
- Oversees the OCASP data warehouse.
- Monitors system performance and supports system users.
- Monitors events taking place worldwide.
- Initiates the emergency support program when required.
- Proposes emergency response recommendations to senior management.
- Three-year Community College Diploma or Three-Year Bachelor Degree, or equivalent.
- More than 3 years and up to and including 5 years of experience.
Consideration may be given to an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Job Knowledge and Requirements
- Practical and applied knowledge of specialized methods and processes that are typically acquired through a combination of technical or academic qualification and/or work experience.
- Provide consultation and advice on non-straightforward and/or complex issues.
- Interaction with others typically requires interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and influence.
- Adapt messages to meet the needs of the intended audience.
- Build relationships, trust and credibility.
- Manage own work and may train and review the work of casual employees, work study students and/or volunteers, to see commitments through to completion.
- Contribute to setting work priorities and direction, supporting the team in achieving goals and objectives.
- Participate in project team meetings and develop individual project plans.
- Lead procedural or technological change within a unit.
- Identify new problems and seek information and input to fully understand the cause of problems.
- Identify opportunities to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of work processes.
- Draw logical conclusions and provides opinions and recommendations.
- Research equity, diversity, accessibility and inclusion resources and best practices relevant to the job and unit operations in order to inform evidence-based planning.
- Commitment to principles of equity, diversity, accessibility, inclusion, Indigenization and human rights for equity deserving groups.