Associate Dean, Faculty of Health (3 Year Term)
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: ASSOCIATE DEAN, FACULTY OF HEALTH (3 Year Term) - Competition Number 3061
The Faculty of Health is based out of our Langley campus, however intercampus travel will be required.
The Associate Dean (AD) assists the Dean in overall leadership and daily operations of the Faculty to support and enhance the educational experiences of students enrolled in programs offered by CAHS. The AD also facilitates the development, implementation and evaluation of new initiatives to meet the existing and emerging needs of our community and employer/industry partners.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Doctorate in a related discipline is preferred. A Master’s degree is a minimum requirement.
- At least five (5) years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment, including significant committee work and leadership experience.
- Experience working in a teaching-intensive post-secondary institution is an asset.
- Experience working in a unionized academic environment preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction, analyze situations, and develop effective solutions.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills and a record of effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to build leadership capacity in the Faculty by hiring, mentoring, and coaching faculty.
- Ability to respond well to working under pressure and resolve complex issues in an effective manner.
- Knowledge of academic programs, and a commitment to academic excellence; ability to advance the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives and the student learning experience; budgeting; strategic planning.
- Strong organizational skills applicable to operational and logistical tasks.
- Experience developing and implementing new programs an asset.
- Knowledge of faculty management processes and a demonstrated ability to set a tone of support and respect
- Intercampus travel is required, possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
- Provides leadership and engages departments in collaborative long-term planning to ensure that Faculty and university objectives are achieved. Facilitates the development and implementation of new initiatives to meet existing and emerging needs of health programs and services.
- Oversees and supports program and curriculum excellence through the management and maintenance of curriculum development, program review, and revision processes.
- Reviews and interprets University and Faculty policies and ensures student compliance.
- Encourages and supports a research and scholarship ethos in the Faculty and facilitates research and scholarship possibilities.
- Assists Dean is forecasting faculty renewal requirements and developing comprehensive Faculty succession plan.
- Chairs BCGEU and Faculty search committees; is responsible for the Faculty’s hiring process, recruitment and orientation of new faculty and staff, and the retention and assignment of existing employees. This includes coverage arrangements resulting from unanticipated or pre-planned circumstances.
- Provides and oversees faculty workload assignments and course scheduling.
- Manages scheduling, workload, and instructional hours of faculty.
- Authorizes, or endorses the authorization, of appropriate special requests, vacation schedules, leaves of absence, accountable time activities, overpayments of salary, and the assignment of auxiliary staff and substitute faculty for the School.
- Administers and performs the faculty evaluation process.
- Contributes to effective employee and labour relations by administering the collective agreement(s), representing management in the grievance process and consulting with Human Resources Services regarding collective agreement interpretation, as appropriate. Provides input to management negotiating team for collective bargaining purposes, as needed.
- Responds to faculty and staff issues and represents management in the grievance process.
- Responds to and resolves student complaints, appeals and academic integrity issues.
- Reviews academic program and discipline enrollment patterns and projections and coordinates Faculty of Health course offerings.
- Prepares and reviews academic content for the University calendar/catalog and other print and electronic publications.
- Reviews requests and establishes/monitors mechanisms for review of academic waivers/substitutions, transfer credit, independent study and prior learning assessment.
- Provides support in leadership and oversight of academic programs and curriculum; facilitates academic program changes.
- Provides support and leadership for the Faculty of Health accreditation processes.
- Supports the Divisional Business Manager in the development and monitoring of operating and capital budgets; approves expenditures as a proxy for the Dean.
- Serves on department, division, and University committees; represents the Faculty of Health at appropriate community and University bodies, committees, councils, etc.
- Supervises assigned campus personnel.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
Please click here for a more detailed job description
The compensation range is the span between the minimum and maximum base salary (as listed above) for a position. Approximately halfway between the minimum and the maximum represents an employee that possesses full job knowledge, qualifications and experience for the position. In the normal course, employees will be hired, transferred or promoted between the minimum and approximately halfway of the salary range for a job. Annual salary increases are available through participation in the Administrative Performance Management program
Why join the Faculty of Health?
- Impactful change
- Team is collaborative and has open communication
- Passionate about student success
- Genuine student focus and applied health programming
- Innovative Leadership, developing and implementing new programs
- Variety of Programs https://www.kpu.ca/health
- New Projects, cutting edge and concept based
- Design thinking
Why Join KPU?
- Recognized as one of B.C.'s Top Employers
- KPU is committed to actively fostering an equitable and inclusive working environment
- Competitive compensation
- Hybrid environment, flexible work around core hours
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan – College Pension Plan
- Extended Medical, Dental, Healthcare Spending Account, Sick Leave, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Optional Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Emergency Travel Assistance, Employee and Family Assistance Program, Teledoc
- Professional Development Days: up to 10 days paid per year
- Maternity and parental leave top-up
- Generous vacation package
- Campus work environment, outdoor sitting areas and nearby walking trails
- Campus athletic and fitness centers with a variety of instructor-led classes
- Tuition waiver program – eligible to waive tuition costs of courses at KPU equivalent to 3 credits per semester
- Inhouse training and development
- Networking and social events such as KPU Day, Holiday Social etc.
- Intercampus shuttle
- Access to automotive, horticulture, brewery and other programs’ services
- Clubs: Jeopardy, Toastmasters, E-sports, Ted Talks etc.
- Library and Bookstore (discounts)
- **Benefits may vary if the position is temporary or part-time**
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.