OVERVIEW: KPU MELVILLE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
KPU is a regionally focused, teaching-led, open access institution. Situated in Metro Vancouver, KPU is a multi-sector university offering a wide array of undergraduate degree programs, trades and technology programs, and one and two-year certificate and diploma programs to over 20,000 students on five campuses in Surrey, Richmond and Langley.
On September 8, 2021, the School of Business was proud to accept a generous gift from George and Sylvia Melville and to rename our school to the Melville School of Business. The gift will support students with scholarships, bursaries and fund technological advancements in teaching and learning which will enhance the learning experience of our students. We are grateful to the Melvilles for their recognition of the quality business education we deliver.
The Melville School of Business is a dynamic, innovative and industry connected business school. KPU's Melville School of Business (MSB) is one of the largest business schools in Western Canada – consisting of 310 dedicated business faculty and over 9000 business students with approximately 2,000 students taking courses in other program areas across the university. We currently offer 23 programs with plans to expand in several discipline areas over the next two years, including graduate level credentials. Awarded international accreditation by the Accreditation Council of Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP), Melville Business meets the rigorous educational standards established by ACBSP and stands out as an internationally accredited business schools in B.C. In addition, the MSB is a proud signatory of the UN’s Principles for Responsible Management Education initiative and committed to completing our second Sharing Information on Progress report to be submitted later in 2024. More recently, the MSB has launched the Melville Business Strategy Internship program. The internship program provides an opportunity for soon to graduate business students to attain work experience in their discipline of study. The program also benefits employers by reducing the cost of hiring students and deepens the connection between the business community and post-secondary education.
To learn more about the Melville School of Business, please click here.
Our vision in the Strategic & Academic Plan 2023 – 2026 is to embolden business and technology learners to become inclusive community builders and conscious change makers.
THE OPPORTUNITY: ASSOCIATE DEAN, MELVILLE SCHOOL OF BUSINESS
We are seeking TWO vacancies of Associate Dean to join the team in helping shape the MSB and KPU during a period of continued dynamic growth and change.
Reporting to the Dean, the Associate Dean is an integral member of the Melville School of Business leadership team and will work closely with the Dean, Associate Deans and the Divisional Business Manager to provide strategic and day-to-day administrative and educational leadership to a group of diverse departments and disciplines.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR:
- Demonstrated ability to provide leadership and direction, analyze situations, and develop effective solutions.
- Demonstrates excellent communication, collaboration, and team building skills.
- Outstanding interpersonal communication skills and a record of effective working relationships.
- Demonstrated ability to build leadership capacity in the Faculty by hiring, mentoring, and coaching faculty.
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple departments in a collaborative environment as an asset.
- Demonstrated understanding and leadership in support of equity, diversity and inclusion in the post-secondary environment as an asset.
- Relevant community-based and/or professional experience rooted in indigenous communities, knowledges, and traditions as an asset.
- Ability to respond well to working under pressure and resolve complex issues in an effective manner.
- Knowledge of academic programs, and a commitment to academic excellence; ability to advance the quality and content of programs, courses, initiatives and the student learning experience; budgeting; strategic planning.
- Strong organizational skills applicable to operational and logistical tasks.
- Experience developing and implementing new programs as an asset.
- Knowledge of faculty management processes and a demonstrated ability to set a tone of support and respect.
- Intercampus travel is required, possession of a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle is preferred.
WHAT EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE SHOULD YOU HAVE?
- Master’s degree required in a related field preferred.
- Proven success in a leadership role with progressive responsibility.
- A minimum of 5 years teaching experience, preferably in a post-secondary environment.
- Experience working in a unionized academic environment preferred.
- Experience working in a teaching-intensive post-secondary institution is an asset.
KPU is a multi-campus institution. Travel between campuses will be required. Partial remote working is also available.
WANT TO KNOW MORE?
Click here to view the full position description
WHY JOIN KPU?
- Recognized as one of B.C.'s Top Employers
- KPU is committed to actively fostering an equitable and inclusive working environment
- Competitive compensation
- Hybrid environment, flexible work around core hours
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan – through BC’s College Pension Plan
- Extended Medical, Dental, Healthcare Spending Account, Sick Leave, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Optional Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Emergency Travel Assistance, Employee and Family Assistance Program, Teledoc
- Professional Development Days: up to 10 days paid per year
- Maternity and parental leave top-up
- Generous vacation package
- Campus athletic and fitness centers with a variety of instructor-led classes
- Tuition waiver program – eligible to waive tuition costs of courses at KPU equivalent to 3 credits per semester
- Inhouse training and development
- Networking and social events such as KPU Day, Holiday Social etc.
- Intercampus shuttle
- Access to automotive, horticulture, brewery and other programs’ services
- Clubs: Jeopardy, Toastmasters, E-sports, Ted Talks etc.
- Library and Bookstore (discounts)
The compensation range is the span between the minimum and maximum base salary (as listed above) for a position. Approximately halfway between the minimum and the maximum represents an employee that possesses full job knowledge, qualifications and experience for the position. In the normal course, employees will be hired, transferred or promoted between the minimum and approximately halfway of the salary range for a job. Annual salary increases are available through participation in the Administrative Performance Management program.
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look different for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
READY TO APPLY?
Applications must be submitted online via the KPU Career Centre. Please ensure to provide a resume and a cover letter as part of your application.
A resume review will be conducted on February 23rd, 2024 however this position will remain open until filled.
For inquiries or recommendations, please contact:
Talent Acquisition Specialist
NOTE TO APPLICANTS:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.