HR Specialist, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (EDI) - Competition ID: 3190
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: HR Specialist, Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion (EDI)
This role reports to the Director, Organizational Development & Employee Experience.
The HR Specialist, Equity, Diversity & Inclusion (EDI) is a member of the broader Human Resources department and will be joining the Organizational Development and Employee Experience team. This role will be focused on supporting the internal HR team and will work closely with the Director of Organizational Development & Employee experience and the Office of Equity and Inclusive Communities (OEIC). The Specialist will create and provide ongoing support for HR programs, practices and initiatives specifically within the HR Department, all of which support KPU’s commitment to an equitable and inclusive learning and working environment.
Responsibilities will include reviewing and revising HR policies to align with effective EDI practices, supporting relevant training for HR related matters to the HR team, and fostering an inclusive workplace culture. This will include implementing and enhancing HR specific programs, in collaboration with OEIC, as it relates to EDI and the Employee Experience, as per strategy and priorities set by the Director. The specialist will take the lead on coordinating HR specific EDI programs and initiatives within the HR Department. A key aspect of this role will be to liaise and work closely with our Office of Equity and Inclusive Communities (OEIC).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (i.e. Human Resources, Sociology, Education, Business Administration, Law, etc.);
- Minimum of two (2) years working in the HR field/sound knowledge of HR practices and programs;
- Minimum of two (2) years of diversity and inclusion experience in a work or volunteer environment. This can include equity, diversity, and inclusion work outside of regular job duties;
- Training or certification in equity, diversity, and inclusion, or similar;
- Or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated understanding of equity, diversity, and inclusion work.
- Demonstrated understanding of HR programs, practices and policies.
- Demonstrated understanding of unconscious bias, microaggressions, and intersectionality.
- Demonstrated experience in group facilitation.
- Experience in working with individuals from equity-denied groups.
- Demonstrated ability to be aware and support others’ needs.
- Demonstrated ability to support tough conversations.
- Working knowledge of human rights laws and other relevant legislation.
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research and data analysis.
- Strong communication skills (both oral and written).
- Strong presentation skills, including experience delivering to both small and large audiences.
- Ability to design, deliver, and source programming and/or training.
- Ability to maintain strict confidentiality.
- Ability to interpret and apply university and departmental policies, procedures, and guidelines.
- Ability to multi-task, be self-directed, and to make decisions to meet deadlines.
- Ability to travel between campuses.
Please click here for a more detailed job description
The compensation range is the span between the minimum and maximum base salary (as listed above) for a position. Approximately halfway between the minimum and the maximum represents an employee that possesses full job knowledge, qualifications and experience for the position. In the normal course, employees will be hired, transferred or promoted between the minimum and approximately halfway of the salary range for a job. Annual salary increases are available through participation in the Administrative Performance Management program
Why Join KPU?
- Recognized as one of B.C.'s Top Employers
- KPU is committed to actively fostering an equitable and inclusive working environment
- Competitive compensation
- Hybrid environment, flexible work around core hours
- Defined Benefit Pension Plan – College Pension Plan
- Extended Medical, Dental, Healthcare Spending Account, Sick Leave, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Optional Life Insurance, Accidental Death and Dismemberment, Emergency Travel Assistance, Employee and Family Assistance Program, Teledoc
- Professional Development Days: up to 10 days paid per year
- Maternity and parental leave top-up
- Generous vacation package
- Campus work environment, outdoor sitting areas and nearby walking trails
- Campus athletic and fitness centers with a variety of instructor-led classes
- Tuition waiver program – eligible to waive tuition costs of courses at KPU equivalent to 3 credits per semester
- Inhouse training and development
- Networking and social events such as KPU Day, Holiday Social etc.
- Intercampus shuttle
- Access to automotive, horticulture, brewery and other programs’ services
- Clubs: Jeopardy, Toastmasters, E-sports, Ted Talks etc.
- Library and Bookstore (discounts)
- **Benefits may vary if the position is temporary or part-time**
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at email@example.com.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.